About Aikido2018-11-09T14:29:19+00:00

WHAT IS AIKIDO?

The word Aikido is formed of three Japanese characters, 合気道, ai, ki and do, meaning literally harmony, energy and way, so Aikido can be translated as “the path to harmonious energies”. Aikido is not a conventional fighting art. Rather, it is an art of defense, one that stresses learning to make harmony with opposing forces instead of combating them. It is a way of uniting body and mind to defend the self through non-resistance. Aikido’s techniques are meant to control an attacker by blending with its movement and redirecting its energy instead of blocking it. This aspect of Aikido – its defensive rather than offensive approach to aggression – makes it a unique and powerful art. Ueshiba Morihei the founder referred to his creation as the ‘The Art of Peace’.

O'Sensei

HISTORY OF AIKIDO

The son of a landowner from Tanabe, Morihei Ueshiba studied a number of martial arts in his youth, and served in the Japanese Army during the Russo-Japanese War. After being discharged in 1907, he moved to Hokkaidō as the head of a pioneer settlement; here he met and studied with Takeda Sōkaku, the founder of Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu. On leaving Hokkaido in 1919, Ueshiba joined the Ōmoto-kyō movement, a Shinto sect, in Ayabe, where he served as a martial arts instructor and opened his first dojo. He accompanied the head of the Ōmoto-kyō group, Onisaburo Deguchi, on an expedition to Mongolia in 1924, where they were captured by Chinese troops and returned to Japan.
Based on practicing and experimenting in multiple Martial Art, the Founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, built a dedicated Aikido Dojo in Tokyo in 1931. Today Aikido has become established in 130 countries, and under the direction of Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba, instructors carry on the spirit of Aikido which continues to grow throughout the world.

AIKIKAI FOUNDATION AND HOMBU DOJO

Officially recognized by the Japanese government in 1940, the Aikikai Foundation is the parent organization for the development and popularization of Aikido throughout the world. The Founder, Morihei Ueshiba, who moved to Tokyo in 1927, rented private houses as provisional dojos for his training. However, these became too crowded as the number of practitioners grew. In 1931, the Founder built a dedicated Aikido Dojo. This was a wooden building approximately 120 square meters (80 tatami mats) in size, called the Kobukan, located in present-day Wakamatsu-Cho, Shinjuku. In 1967 the original wooden structure housing the Aikido Hombu Dojo was replaced by a modern concrete building. In 1973 the building was modernized, and the fourth and fifth floors were added to the building.
Aikido has become established in 130 countries, and under the direction of Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba, instructors carry on the spirit of Aikido which continues to grow throughout the world.
Mumei Shudan Dojo is officially recognized by the Aikikai Foundation and all Mumei Shudan Instructors are certified Yudansha.

Official Aikikai Foundation website: http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/index.html

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons